Monday, February 2, 2009

California Dreaming

Late Thursday night Kevin and I landed in the Sacramento airport. We were more than a little relieved to finally be able to stand up and stretch our legs, since it somehow took us a grand total of three different flights to get from Miami (where we had been for our LAM orientation) to California.

Here in Northern California we are enjoying unseasonably beautiful weather. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and I am comfortable outside with jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. There is something about being on the farm where I grew up that always refreshes me, breathing the sweet air and seeing the millions of stars in the night sky.

But while it is quite pleasant here, both Kevin and I have our minds set on the journey ahead which will hopefully lead us to Mexico City for the summer, and Spain by the end of this year. There is something a little different this time, however, for me than the months when we were in California before we left on our two month Spain/Florida hiatus. Before I found myself overwhelmed by the amount of time I had on my hands with no friends, no job, and a new church where I hardly knew anyone. This time I come back with a "to do" list that goes on for a couple of pages and a renewed excitement and vision for the support raising process. On Sunday the missions board at our new church expressed an interest in seeing how they could come behind us and support us, something I certainly was not expecting. Then Sunday afternoon we got together with some friends we met in October to watch the Super Bowl.

I really wanted to share these things because, if you have been reading our blog, then you will know that really September through November was a difficult season for us, coming home from Mexico, feeling out our new vocation as long-term missionaries, and struggling to build a new community in a place that Kevin has never lived, and somewhere I have not lived since high school. I felt overwhelmed. But God is faithful. While I am sure the next few months will have challenges of its own (namely raising enough support to leave for Mexico by mid-April), I feel so grateful for the community that is beginning to grow around us, and the renewed energy and vision we have for this "transition time." Thank you God.

1 comment:

Josh said...

We (Amy and I) look forward to being a part of that community for a long time.

Hope to see you guys soon!